Best Hybrid Bikes For The Money
What is a hybrid bike?
Commuter = City = Urban = Hybrid?
A hybrid bike is essentially a cross between a mountain bike (30%) and a road bike (70%), with a focus on comfort rather than speed.
They typically feature a combination of the best features from both on- and off-road styles and are designed to be comfortable riding on both tarmac and some gravel roads. In this sense, hybrid bikes are versatile but can’t perform on extremely rough terrain as well as mountain bikes, nor can they compete in a race with a road bike. Nowadays, they are the most common form of bicycle used for non-sport-related activities like:
The Different Types of Hybrid Bikes
Great & comfortable for everyday use. Designed to get around in urban areas.
*City bikes (a.k.a urban bikes)
Basic bikes for grocery runs, or for school/work commutes.
Fast and sporty, generally 700c wheel bikes with a rigid fork.
Therefore, a hybrid bicycle is a mixture of two (or more) different bikes.
Introducing the best dual-sport bikes of 2021
1. Marin – Muirwoods RC 2022 🏆
Marin’s Muirwoods RC is a budget-friendly urban bike equipped to tackle city roads as a commuting companion or a swift fitness bike.
The Muirwoods RC has a high-quality Chromoly steel frame which is durable and comfortable to ride. This is paired with bouncy 650B x 47C tires which help to smooth out any rough surfaces including gravel.
This bike comes with premium Shimano hydraulic disc brakes, an internal hub drivetrain that boosts durability and reduces maintenance needs, and reflective graphics to improve your visibility at night.
Finally, this bike also comes fitted with full fenders and mounts for a pannier rack which would allow you to turn it into the perfect touring bike.
- Puncture-resistant tires
- Reflective graphics for urban use
- Steel frame for a smooth and stable ride
- Fenders with mud-flaps
- Shock-absorbing bar tape
Steel frame / Hydraulic brakes / Internal gearing
2. Cannondale – Quick CX1
The Cannondale Quick CX1 is part of Cannondale’s fitness city bikes, which include bikes that lean more towards on-road riding.
This bike has great value and a decent set of components to satisfy the needs of a recreational cyclist or an urban commuter. You can add racks or fenders to the bike to make it even more versatile, while it can be used as a fitness bike as easily.
- SmartFrom C3 alloy frame, tapered head tube.
- SR Suntour NEX-E25 fork, 63mm travel.
- SX Eagle 12-speed drivetrain.
- 700x40c Vittoria tires
- Hydraulic disc brakes
All in all, the Quick CX 1 hybrid bike is definitely a bike that should be at the top of this list. At 31lbs, there’s nothing to add or remove to make it more complete.
3. Co-op Cycles – CTY 1.1
Best-selling – great value hybrid bike unisex & step-through frame
With 63mm of travel in the front and 700c x 40mm tires, the CTY 1.1 is both fast and comfortable. It is a great value commuter bike with an upright riding position. On and off the road, the CTY 1.1 is an entry-level bike for casual commuters.
The CTY-series bikes have gained really good feedback on REI, which is Co-op Cycles one and only retailer! Their bikes have gained fast success in a limited timeframe so whenever you’d need assurance of what to expect – go over and read more from the reviews!
- Groupset. The Co-op Cycles CTY 1.1 features a combination of Shimano Tourney, Alivio, and Acera parts to make up its group set. The 8-speed rear cassette is a Shimano HG-31 (11-32T) with plenty of variety for all sorts of terrains. Brakes are mechanical discs, which are very suitable for recreational cycling.
- Wheels and Tires. The CTY 1.1 comes with 700×40 Kenda K1024 tires that benefit from a protective shield to block thorns and a reflective sidewall for extra safety at night. Wheels are standard 700c Huafeng with Joytech 32h hubs on both front and back.
- Performance. With the large, comfortable tires the bike handles well both on- and off road.
CTY 1.1 – $599
CTY 1.2 – $999
CTY 2.1 – $799
CTY 2.2 – $1,099
3×9 drivetrain / Mechanical Disc brakes / 700x40c wheels
4. Norco – Indie 3
The Indie by Norco bikes is a mixture of comfort- and a city bike. Whether you need to get from A to B daily, convert the bike for urban touring – there is a great mixture of different aspects that speak well for the bike. The Indie 3 is built on an aluminum frame & steel fork, 650b (27.5″) wheels. In a sense of a hybrid – it can be used on different types of roads due to its rigid, shock-absorbing steel fork. The hydraulic disc brakes are also a great addition to the bike at this price range.
- 3×7 speed Shimano Tourney drivetrain
- Tektro hydraulic brakes
- Shimano Altus shifters
- Norco Urban saddle
- 27.5×2.0″ tires
As a downside, the 3×7 Shimano Tourney is not among the most durable drivetrains, instead, it is best suited for recreational cyclists.
5. Marin – Olema 650b
A gravel bike is an ideal hybrid commuter for fast and zippy routes, riding over both on and off road trails.
6. Batch – Lifestyle 700
A simple bike for simple commutes, the fast 700c-wheel Batch bike sold at Jenson USA is a nice deal during this time of shortage. For $400 you’ll get quite a bulletproof budget bike. Although it comes in two sizes and two colors, there’s more than enough of a commuter bike for the price. We’re glad that they’ve gone for the single front chainring which eliminates the extra-hustle with maintenance, but not as happy to still see V-brakes on modern bicycle in 2021. After all, it is built to get you from A-B with the least amount of hustle.
- 6061 alloy frame
- 700cx 38mm tires
- Shimano 7-speed Tourney derailleur
- Steel seatpost
7. Cannondale – Treadwell 2
Best fitness hybrid bike! 🏆
First impressions matter, right – Well what were your first thoughts when seeing this bike?
The Treadwell 2 is Cannondale’s vision of a one-bike-to-rule-them-all that’s built on a unisex frame. Equipped with all the above-average components for long-lasting commutes, the runs on 650b wheels that are commonly used among bike touring, the braking power is supported by the Tektro hydraulic disc brakes, the comfort is well-supported by Cannondale Treadwell saddle. This is a sturdy bike for anyone who is looking for the ultimate bike that can be used for commuting and fitness alike.
9-speed / 650b wheels / microSHIFT derailleurs
8. Rad Power Bikes – RadCity
Best electric hybrid bike under $1,500
Rad Power Bikes
RadCity 4 is an electric hybrid bike at an excellent price point.
It’s got all you need to get on the two electric wheels and with all the extras. The 800-charge cycle battery provides a pedal-assisted range from 25 to 45 miles, and it takes 5-6 hours to fully charge the battery. Sure, a seasoned cyclist may notice that it’s got a rear-wheel hub instead of a mid-drive engine, 26″ wheels instead of 650b, and the bike weighs 60lb, but it really comes at a great price point. Its got all the extras one would need from an everyday commuter such as – the fenders, lights, racks, mechanical disc brakes, and so on.
Related: Best Electric Hybrid Bikes
One size frame: 5’11” – 6’5″
7-Speed / 750W rear hub motor / 26×2.3″
9. Priority Bicycles – 600
Silent – Clean – Maintenance free
A commuter hybrid should be the type of bike you simply use for any type of riding. You can wear a suit with the Priority 600 since there’s no lubricated chain, and you’ll be protected from the water spray by the long-reaching fenders!
The Priority Bicycles – 600 is a perfect example of what to expect in a decent hybrid bike. If you are looking for something that’s easy to ride, comfortable, durable, and pretty much maintenance-free – This is the one for you. Check out the rest of their range as their bikes start as low as $499 – Priority Cycles full review
- Fenders – Front and rear with mudflaps on the end
- 600% gear range
- Internal Gearbox – No need to lubricate the chain, or worry about the chain ‘lubricating’ your pants
- Belt-drive – Literally maintenance and oil-free
- WTB 650B Road Plus tires (27.5″)
- Tektro Hydraulic Disc brakes
- Carbon-fiber Seatpost
- Dynamo lights
- Large and comfortable, puncture-resistant tires.
Gates Belt-drive / 12-speed Pinion Gearbox / 650B wheels / Dynamo lights
10. Cannondale – Bad Boy
Most unique hybrid bicycle to rule the streets
Those bikes don’t need too much introduction as the Bad Boy series is one of the toughest and unique hybrid bikes on the market! Check out our overviews of those bikes to find the best suitable one for you.
Lefty-Rigid fork / Agile geometry for fast riding / 650b wheelsAvailability - REI.com
Related: Trek Verve Disc 2021 Overview
The Different Types of Hybrid Bicycles
There are different types of hybrids we are covering now
- Mountain bike influenced – These bikes usually have front suspension, thick treaded tires, and a mountain bike style frame design for better off-road handling. While they typically have slightly better on-road performance than most dedicated mountain bikes, they are at their best when dealing with rough surfaces like dirt and gravel.
Examples include the Trek FX 1 and Ghost Square Cross.
- Road bike influenced – These are bikes with racing-style frames but straight handlebars for a more comfortable, upright position. They are usually lighter than most hybrids but also least suited to rough terrain or long-distance touring. These are great bikes for zipping around town are getting to work and back.
Examples include the Giant Escape 3 and Vilano Diverse 3.0
- Cruiser & lifestyle influenced – Cruiser style bikes like the Sixthreezero EVRYjourney are aimed at short trips around town or into the countryside. They are usually very comfortable and feature racks or baskets for carrying small goods. While cruiser bikes can handle a bit of rough terrain they are ideally aimed at smoother road surfaces.
Examples include the Sixthreezero EVRYjourney
- Utility hybrids – Utility hybrid bikes often make good touring bikes if you intend to stick mostly to tarmac surfaces. They are generally designed to be tough and carry heavier loads than most but are slower and a bit heavier than other hybrids. They don’t usually have suspension but with thicker tires, they can hold their own on dirt or gravel.
Examples include the Raleigh Route 3 or Marin Muirwoods
- CX influenced – CX-style bikes are intended to provide a perfect balance between off- and onroad surfaces, making for decent dirt track and tarmac riding. The mix means CX-style bikes are ideally suited to any specific surface but are great if you want a long-distance touring bike that is ready for any conditions.
Examples include the Cannondale Quick CX
Which one to choose?
Always take into account what you’ll be using the bicycle for. There is no point in getting a mountain-bike-style hybrid bike with suspension travel if you are only going to be commuting to work on flat paved roads.
– For work commutes, you might want a lightweight, easy-riding bike so you don’t break too much of a sweat.
– If you intend to do some weekend tours with camping – look into a utility bike that can handle more weight.
– If you want to hit the gravel tracks on the weekend then you’ll want a CX or mountain bike style hybrid.
Best Electric Bikes – Under $1,000