Best E-Bikes of 2020
Proponents of electric bikes, or eBikes, believe they represent the next logical evolution in green transport. eBikes solve the issue of fossil fuel usage and emissions in transport while simultaneously offering an enjoyable way for even the laziest of commuters to travel.
65% of riders use their electric bike to replace their car
66% of cyclists said that they preferred an eBike because of hilly terrain or near work commutes
Nearly 75% rode their eBike to different destinations than their standard bike
Most eBikes require some pedaling to charge and therefore provide a modicum of exercise while not forcing the riding to break a sweat. While cycling has grown in popularity lately, many people still balk at the idea of showing up to work all sweaty!
Without further ado, here are the best electric bicycles by value made by the most known bike brands out there!
Best Men’s Electric Bikes
|Brand||Model||MSRP $||Hub Type||eBike Type||Battery Capacity Wh||Torque (Nm)||Motor W|
|RAD||RadRunner 1||1,199||Rear Hub||City||672||80||250|
|ELECTRA||Townie GO 7D||1,499||Rear Hub||Cruiser||307||n/a||250|
|MARIN||Nail Trail E1||2,700||Mid||MTB||500||70||250|
|CANNONDALE||Canvas NEO SL 2||3,200||Mid||Commuter||400||50||250|
|RAD||RadRover 5||1,499||Rear Hub||Fatbike||750||80||576|
↓ ↓ ↓
Made by the Best Value electric bike brand
Range: up to 45miles / Motor Type: 750W geared hub / Max Capacity: 300lbs/136kg / Twist Grip Throttle
Rad Power offers a wide selection of bikes in its Rad-ebikes range, with the RadRunner 1 being its flagship product. This little 750w electric bike is ideal for buzzing around town, visiting friends, grabbing the groceries, or going to work.
The Rad Runner 1 can do up to 45 miles or more per charge and has a simple, single-speed drivetrain to add power when needed. It’s built around a strong aluminum frame with an integrated luggage carrier and can be fitted with a soft pad or carrier for a child or small passenger. At just over $1,000, it’s easily our choice for the best value electric bike.
- Puncture-resistant tires with reflective sidewall striping
- Single-speed drivetrain
- LED control panel
- Integrated rear rack
- Low-step frame design
- Integrated brake light
- Rigid front fork
- Upright handlebars
- Dual leg kickstand
#2 ELECTRA – Townie Go 7D
Best Beach Cruiser Electric Bike
Range: up to 50 miles with pedal assist / 7–speed / 27.5” wheels / HyDrive 309Wh battery / 250W Motor / Weight: 48lbs (21kg) /
This full-size town cruising bike from the Trek e-bikes range features a low seat angle and forward pedals for relaxed riding. It has thick, wide tires for comfortable, smooth rolling over any surface and comes with a convenient rear-rack for luggage. Power comes from a Hydrive 250w rear hub motor and 309Wh battery which provides decent speed.
Trek manufacturers Electra bikes, which is their e-bikes range.
The patented Flat Foot Technology allows riders to achieve fully-stretched legs while cycling and still have a flat-footed position on the ground when stopped. Shimano Tourney provides the 7-speed drivetrain and Tektro mechanical disc brakes ensure you have no trouble stopping in any weather conditions.
- Lightweight aluminum 6061 frame
- Shimano Tourney TY rear derailleur
- RevoShift shifters
- LED Display shows battery charge/support level /
- Mechanical disc brakes
- Custom balloon tires
- Internally cabled wires
- Rear rack
Get from REI
#3 TREK Domane+ LT 2020
Flip the switch for a strategic boost of power
Motor: 250W / Max Assist: 20mp/h / Max load: 275 pounds/125kg
MSRP $6,500 – $7,000
The Trek Domane LT+ doesn’t look like your typical e-bike but it’s definitely one of the fastest e-bikes. This full-carbon drop bar road bike would look more in place on the Tour de France route. However, despite its very competitive, sporty design it comes fitted with a powerful motor for extra help up steep hills.
The Domane LT+ is aimed at serious road riders who occasionally want to take the pressure off while still cycling, possibly due to injury or simply to take it easy. In this way, you have a fully-functional lightweight carbon racing bike with the added bonus of a bit of electric power. In addition, Trek’s Isospeed frame technology helps to absorb vibrations and reduce fatigue on long rides.
- 500 Series OCLV Carbon frame
- Endurance geometry
- 2×11 Shimano Ultegra drivetrain
- Fazua integrated drive system
- Removable drive pack (Cover can be added)
- Weight: 32.3 lbs/14.7 kg – w/o drive pack 26 lbs/11.8 kg /
- Domane SL carbon fork
- Hydraulic disc brakes
- DT Swiss G1800 wheels, Bontrager R3 Hard-Case Lite tires
- Shimano Ultergra drivetrain
- Fender compatible
- Bontrager – Handlebar, Stem
- Shimano Ultegra/Dura-Ace hydraulic disc brakes
- Bike Weight: 32.3 lbs / 14.7 kg with battery, 26 lbs (11.8 kg) without
- Battery weight: 2.9kg
Buy from TREK
#4 MARIN Nail Trail E1 27.5+ Complete 2020
Durable single-track trail electric mountain bike
Motor: 250W/70Nm / Range: Up To 62miles / 500Wh battery capacity
For mountain bike enthusiasts who hate those long, uphill slogs, the Marin Nail Trail electric mountain bike is the choice for you. Kick in the 250W motor and roll up those hills with ease, leaving non-powered cyclists in your dust. The integrated switch unit automatically provides smooth switching between normal and power-assisted modes depending on conditions.
With thick Schwalbe 27.5” tires, Shimano gears, and a RockShox Recon fork, this e-Bike will hold its own against the competition on even the toughest of downhill mountain trails. Not just that – the convenient TranzX dropper post allows you to quickly drop the seat on downhills without even having to stop.
- RockShox Recon RL with 140 mm travel forks
- 1×10 Drivetrain – Shimano Deore Shadow Plus, SunRace Cassette
- Shimano BR-MT201 Hydraulic Disc Brakes with 203mm front/rear rotors!
- TranzXDropper seat post
- Marin Aluminum Double Wall Rims on Laced to Forged Alloy Hubs – Super light and strong
- Vee Tire Crown Gem folding beat Dual Control Compound 27.5 x 2.8″ tires
Buy from MARIN
#5 CANNONDALE Canvas NEO SL 2
Men’s electric commuter bike with a 60-mile range
Motor: 250W Bosch Active Line @ 50Nm / Battery Capacity: 400Wh / Max assist speed: 20pmh / Pedal Assist Range: 60miles / 29” wheels
This great-looking Cannondale electric bike is the most stylish commuter e-Bike in town. Turn heads when you show up to work on this slick and attractive piece of machinery. The Cannondale Canvas comes in a metallic ‘Sage Grey’ color that gives it a futuristic, metal-look.
With extra-large Schwalbe G-One puncture-proof tires and Shimano hydraulic disc brakes, you’ll feel perfectly safe scooting along busy streets or off-road trails. The durable Bosch engine and 400Wh removable battery will take you 60 miles on one charge, leaving you fresh and full of energy to start the day.
See the last years, cheaper Neo SL 1 from Aventuron
- Lithium-Ion batter
- Charge time: 4.5h
- SmartForm C2 alloy frame
- Ballistec carbon fork
- Drivetrain: Bosch 1×9
- Shimano Acera shifters
- Shimano Alivio rear derailleur
- Shimano MT200 hydraulic disc brakes, 180mm rotors
- WTB STX i29 TCS 32h rims
Get from Aventuron
#6 RADPOWER – RadRover 5
Best electric fat bike on the list
750W Geared Hub Motor – 80Nm / 48V 14 Ah Lithium-Ion Battery (576watts) / Max payload capacity: 275lb / Twist-grip throttle / 7–speeds
At less than $1,500, the RadRover 5 from Rad Power Bikes is one of the best value-for-money fat tire eBikes on the market. It comes fully-equipped with huge puncture-resistant 4” Kenda K-shield tires, 7-speed Shimano drivetrain, and a front suspension fork with 80mm of travel.
The full-power 750W Bafang geared hub motor will make this e-bike feel more like a motorbike as you tear up the mountainside. With integrated lighting, mechanical disc brakes, and reflective sidewall tires you’ll feel safe in any weather conditions – just don’t get lost in the mountains!
- Tektro Aries mechanical disc brakes with 180mm rotors
- Twist-grip throttle
- Custom RST Rad Power Bikes front fork with 80mm travel – lockable and adjustable preload
- 750W Bafang geared hub motor
- Integrated brake light
- Puncture-resistant tires with reflective sidewalls
Get from RadPowerBikes
#7 TERN Vektron S10 Gen 2
The best value foldable electric bike that’s suitable for the whole family. Fastest charge time of the bunch
Great for riders: 4’10” – 6’5” / 147 – 195 cm / Max Speed: 20mph/25km/h / Motor: 36V/250W Bosch Active Line Plus @ 40Nm / 400W battery capacity
Folding Time: 10 sec / Folding Size: 16.1” x 33.9” x 26.8” – 41 x 83 x 68cm
If you’re the kind of cycle tourist who likes to use trains and buses often, you can’t go wrong with the Vektron S10. This folding electric bike has a large rear rack that folds up with the bike and is compatible with Thule and Nexxt child carrier seats. It’s one of few folding e-bikes that can carry passengers.
Highly adjustable seat and handlebars make it ideal for any size riders from 147 – 195 cm. (4’10” – 6’5” feet). Schwalbe Big Apple 20” tires are tough, puncture-resistant, water-shedding – so you’ll only need to get on the bus or train when you want to. When folded, the bike fits conveniently under a desk, in a large suitcase, or neatly in a corner.
- Speeds: 1×10
- 20″ wheels / Weight: 48.8lb (22.1kg) / Max Load Capacity: 230lb/105kg
- Magura MT 4 Hydraulic Disc Brakes
- Fenders in the front & back
- Atlas rear rack with a max capacity of 59lbs/27kg. Suitable for Thule Yepp or Nexxt Maxi shit without adapters!
- Bosch Purion Control Panel allows switching between five different riding modes. Shows battery level, distance, and speed.
- Bosch Active Line Plus – 20% lighter and 25% smaller than previous models
- A heavy-duty updated OCL+ frame joint, hinge to exceed ISO 4210 and EN 15194 testing requirements!
- Updated Vektron Frame – Improved comfort for taller riders
Buy from REI
Best Women‘s Electric Bikes 2020
E-bikes’ popularity among female cyclists has been an increasing trend during the last 5 years. Cycling in its purest form should be enjoyable and beneficial, and we’re talking about something that’s going to be the future of transportation. There’s literally no wrong reasons to think about getting an e-bike.
Whether your main priority of getting an e-bike is comfort, previous injury or you simply live in a hilly area, electric bikes increase your time spent on commuting.
#8 BENNO RemiDemi
Best mini electric bike
20mp/h assisted top-speed / Great for riders: 5’1” to 6′1″ (155–185cm) / 250W mid-drive motor with 65Nm torque / 400Wh Bosch Battery
This women’s electric bike from bike manufacturer Benno is a funky little lightweight bike that looks a bit like a scooter and comes in two attractive colors, blue and yellow. The Remidemi makes scooting around town an easy task, with the convenient built-in luggage rack is compatible with Yepp child seats or Racktime baskets to carry bags and groceries.
With a high-quality Shimano drivetrain, hydraulic disc brakes, and integrated lighting, this is no simple e-bike. The Remidemi is a top-quality stylish little commuter bike that gets an extra kick of va-va-voom from the powerful 250W engine.
- Shimano BR MT200 Hydraulic Disc Brakes
- Shimano Sora rear derailleur
- 4130 CRMO steel frame and fork
- Gears 1×9
- 36H Double-wall aluminum wheels on KT aluminum hubs
- Tire size: 20″ x 4.25″ Duro
- Bosch Purion Display
- Thule Yepp Maxi EasyFit child seat compatible
- Can carry up to 110 lbs of cargo
Get from JensonUSA
#9 TREK Powerfly 5 Women’s
One of the most iconic women’s electric mountain bike on the market
250W motor / Max pedal-assist speed: 20mp/h / Battery Capacity: 500Wh / 70Nm torque
The Trek Powerfly Women’s electric-assist bike is a serious off-road vehicle, and it looks the part with aggressive frame geometry and striking color scheme. The removable integrated 500Wh battery and Bosch CX 250W motor fit beautifully into the frame, leaving an impressively clean and aerodynamic design considering the size.
With SRAM SX Eagle gears supported by Tektro hydraulic disc brakes and Bontrager X3 Comp tires, you can tell Trek didn’t cut any corners on this beast. Add a RockShox Recon Solo Air front fork with 120mm travel and you have a potent mix of engineering and mountain passion.
- 1×12 SRAM drivetrain
- Alpha Platinum Gold Frame
- Fully adjustable RockShox Recon RL fork, (XS/S frame: 120mm travel / M frame: 140mm)
- Bontrager hubs
- Bontrager Kovee double-wall rims
- Bontrager XR3 comp, wire beaded tires, 30 TPI
- SRAM SX Eagle – shifters, rear derailleur, and chain
- SRAM X1 1000 36T Crank
- SRAM PG-1210 Eagle 11-50/12-speed cassette
- Weight: (Size S – 48lbs / 22kg
- Tektro HD-M275 hydraulic disc brakes with 203mm rotors
Buy from TREK
#10 CANNONDALE Tesoro Neo X 1
Best Spec Women’s Electric Commuter Bike
Class 3 High-Speed Pedal Assist / 250W mid-drive motor / 500Wh battery capacity
Charge Time: 4.5h / Max Speed: 28mp/h(45km/h) / 75Nm torque / Pedal Assist Range: 70 miles (100 km)
Another eye-catching addition to the Cannondale eBikes range, the Tesoro Neo is more focused on adventure biking in the backcountry than city commuting. Equipped with front suspension, fenders, and a pannier rack, this is clearly intended for exploring the great outdoors.
Strap your bags on the back of the Tesoro Neo and get out into the fresh air without breaking a sweat. The 250W Bosch Performance motor will help you to glide effortlessly through forests and valleys while the fat Schwalbe G-One puncture-resistance tires and Shimano hydraulic disc brakes ensure your safety.
- 12speed (1×12 gears)
- Wheel size: 29″
- Bosch Performance Line CX 250 Motor with speed configurations
- Best for mountain biking, bikepacking
- Lithium-Ion battery
- Weight: 52lbs / 23.5kg
- SmartForm C1 alloy frame with a dual battery compatibility
- SR Suntour Raidon 34 fork with 100mm travel
- Bosch Gen4 crankset with custom Ai offset. 38t
- Shimano SLX shifters, rear cogs, rear derailleur
- Shimano Deore hydraulic disc brakes with 203/180mm rotors
- Shimano MT400 front hub / Shimano MT510 rear hub
Buy from Aventuron
#11 GHOST Hybride Square Trekking B1.8 AL W Step-Through
Sturdy women’s commuter bike
Mid-drive pedal-assist motor / 500Wh Battery Capacity / Charge time: 5h / 63mm suspension travel / Max speed: 19,9mp/h
The Ghost Hybride step-through women’s bike is a top-quality electric commuter bike, with integrated lighting, pannier racks, and fenders and standard. In fact, this bike could serve equally well as a long-distance touring bicycle. It has everything you need to get started from scratch, whether you’re cycling to work or to the next state.
Hard-wearing, puncture-resistant Continental Contact tires combined with Shimano gears, Tektro disc brakes, and a powerful Bosch 500Wh motor puts this e-bike on a level above the competition. It doesn’t come cheap, admittedly, but you certainly won’t have to upgrade any time soon.
- Weight: 53 pounds / 24kg
- Bosch Active Line battery
- Aluminum frame
- SR Suntour NEX E25 forks with 63mm travel
- Shimantus Altus Shifters and rear derailleur
- Tekro HD-T285 hydraulic disc brakes
- Formula DC 20/22 QR hubs (front/back)
- Continental tires on 700c wheels
Buy from REI
#12 Priority Embark
Belt-driven women’s electric bike
50-mile range / 700 lumen front lamp / 4 pedal-assist modes / 20mp/h Class 1 city legal / Weight: 45lbs – 21kg
>> Priority Bicycles
Lastly, when it comes to US-made bikes, the New York-based company Priority is here to give you an example of what a perfectly made bike should be like. It is as sleek in terms of looks as it’s in performance. Belt-driven bikes are known for their maintenance-free and silent-ride quantities. We strongly recommend reading more about their story if you are into the latest of technological trends!
- Ultralight 6061 T6 aluminum frame
- WTB ST TCS 2.0 27.5″ 650b tubeless-ready rims
- WTB Horizon 650B PLUS 47M/M tubeless-ready tires
- Tektro HD-M285 hydraulic disc brakes with dual pistons
- Bosch Active Lins Plus motor
- Bosch Powerback 400 battery
- Bosch Purion display
- Gates Carbon Drive belt with center track CDX 122T (50T x 24T)
Buy from Priority Bicycles
Best Electric Bicycles For Kids
An increasing trend all eBike brands are working hard to master.
Buying a bicycle for kids is a priceless investment in terms of health and well-being. Currently, the selection of kids eBikes are rather limited, but there will be a ton of variations in no time! Electric bikes do cost more than your regular bikes, but they definitely help a ton when it comes to relaxed commuting, whether it will be in the hills or in the city.
↓ ↓ ↓
#13 SCOTT Roxter eRIDE 24
Best kids e-bike for trail riding
400Wh Battery Capacity / Max pedal assist speed 12.4 mp/h (20km/h) / Weight: 44lbs / 20kg
Once the young ones have grown out of their small youth’s bikes and looking to follow you on rough trails, there’s no better way than getting them a pedal-assist MTB. The Roxter eRIDe 24 by Scott is more than just a trail bike – or more than just a kid’s electric bike. It’s built to conquer rougher trails than most kids are brave enough to lay their eyes on.
It does cost a fair amount of money, but the versatility and set of durable components compromised that gap!
- Alloy Frame
- SR Suntour XCT Plus fork with 70mm travel. Lockout adjustments
- Shimano Alivio 9-speed rear derailleur
- Shimano Altus shifters
- Internal cable routing
- Bosch Active 20km/h, 400WH, 2A
- Shimano BR-MT200 hydraulic disc brakes with 160mm rotors
- Kenda 24×2.6 MTB tires
- Syncros Parts
Get from Scott
#14 STACYC 16 Brushless e16Drive
Weight: 20lbs/9kg with battery / 3 different speed modes – 5, 7.5, 13mph / 30–60min / 45–60min charge time
Kids balance-bike with an electric battery – who would’ve thought about that, right? That’s simply a genius idea – especially for parents whose kids are really into cycling and can’t get enough of their balance bikes. Stacyc’s bike range includes 12″ and 16″ bikes that are a tough build with solid frame and components.
The battery-powered balance bike is a great choice for parents who’d like to get their kids to learn the balance of two wheels in the best possible way.
- 16″ composite wheels with pneumatic tires!
- Aluminum TIG welded and heat-treated frame
- Seat Height: 17″
- No fuse
Get from STACYC
#15 Lectric XP
Best Under $1000 eBike
500W brushless motor with a peak output of over 800W / 25-50+ miles range / 10.4ah, 48v LG lithium-ion battery / Weight: 63lbs (28.6kg)
MAX SPEED: 20mp/h throttle only – 28mp/h pedal-assist
Lectric is one of the most searched and cheapest unisex electric bikes online! Whether you are after A to B commuter that can easily go through mild trails and glide through the city in style – you don’t have to look any further. To top things up – Lectric bikes have only one model in their range, and it’s a solid foldable fat-tire eBike!
- Whisper silent!
- ARRIVES FULLY ASSEMBLED
- 5 pedal assist modes
- Integrated front and rear lights
- Tektro 160mm mechanical disc brakes
- CST 4″ x 20″ fat tires – max tire pressure 30psi – 2bar
- Charge time: 4-6 hours
- Battery weight: 7lbs – 3.1kg
- Folded dimensions: 37″ x 18″ x 27″ – 94cm x 46cm x 69cm
- Unfolded Dimensions: 67″ x 18″ x 47″ – 170cm x 46cm x 120cm
- Rear rack/fenders
- Maximum rider weight: 275 lbs – 125kg
- Rear rack max capacity: 55 lbs – 25kg
Get from Lectric
How To Choose
The best introduction to which electric bike to choose can be found on REI’s Expert Advice Section
Electric Bikes FAQ
Electrically Powered Bicycle = Electric Bike = eBike
Mid-Drive vs Hub Motor Electric Bike
Mid-Drive electric bikes PROS:
- Better feel due to the central weight gravity
- Easier to change tires
- Motors are smaller and lighter
- Better gear ratio and more torque when going uphill with lower gears
Mid-Drive electric bicycle CONS:
- Difficult to maintain
- Snapping a chain is more likely to happen due to the excessive tension when going up steep hills.
Hub Motor e-Bikes PROS:
- Don’t need the chain to operate
- Has the “push feel” due to rear-wheel hub
Hub Motor e-Bikes CONS:
- Extra weight on the rear wheel has an unevenly distributed central weight compared to a standard bicycle
- Harder to change tires
Q: Are Cheap E-Bikes Worth It?
Depending on which type of bike are you looking for – I’d say $1000 for a road eBike is far too cheap to expect it to last and perform well, while $1000 for a standard eBike that’s built by a known brand can be a great bike for everyday commutes
Q: What Extras Do I need?
Kickstand will make things a lot easier for you, and the front/rear lights come handy in terms of safety as well.
Q: Are Electric Bikes Eco-Friendly?
Short answer: Yes
Long answer: Electric bikes are the solution to the future of commuting. As each year goes by – eBikes are improved to optimized performance and eco-friendliness which makes them the main alternatives to cars and public transportation. The early days of trial-and-error are over so there’s no need to worry about the beneficial factor about those bikes.
Q: Why Are Foldable Bikes So Popular?
Bicycles may not weigh a lot, but they occupy a lot of space when not in use. Foldable bicycles are popular among cyclists who want to take their bikes with them, for example:
- Out of town trips for a weekend by a car
- RV camping
- Sailing trips
- Living in tight spaces
- They are fun to ride!
Currently one of the most popular foldable E-Bikes is the Lectric due to its affordability and versatility!
Q: How to properly upgrade the motor?
Some electric bike owners are looking to upgrade their electric motor to a 1000W, which is obviously doable, but there are some limits to it. All new electric bikes come with a warranty and any modifications done to the motor will, unfortunately, go in conflict with the terms of the warranty. If you have a used eBike with a warranty that’s due – you can find great deals from Amazon/Aliexpress.
Q: What not to do/what to keep in mind with an electric bike?
- Avoid leaving your bike out on the sun for extended periods of time
- Avoid riding on the sand or saltwater
- Invest in a bell to warn pedestrians on close passings
- Obey traffic rules