Thule Coaster XT
Hands down the best value cheap bike trailers out there! 🏆
2-in-1 Urban Bike Trailer & Stroller
RATING: 7.5 / 10
BEST FOR Cycling in paved, urban areas. A three-wheel stroller
FEATURES: Sturdy build, Three covers included, Safe & easy hitching, Folds compact
MSRP $430 REI.com
Thule Coaster XT Review
Introducing the best Entry-Level 2-in-1 Bike Trailer And Stroller. The Coaster XT has more hidden upsides than one could notice even after a further inspection – It’s got all you need when commuting on urban areas and smooth roads! Converting from a stroller to a bike trailer is quick, easy, and effortless. The whole design is best used as a bicycle trailer and as a stroller in an 80-20″ ratio.
While hosting various different size compartments, there’s nothing in excess on the whole construction!
The Coaster XT feels at home in urban areas: cycling on sidewalks, light traffic public roads, and smooth paths. Besides a child carrier, the Chariot XT can be used both as a transportation carrier or a pet’s carrier.
Wheels & Brakes
The Coaster XT has 20″ spoked wheels, pneumatic tires, and comes with a single stroller swivel wheel on the front.
Tire pressure range: Minimum recommended of 30 psi (2.1 bar) and the maximum 35 psi (2.5 bar). The tubes have a standard Schneider valve that’s the same as on cars.
- Spring-loaded Park-Brake is easily operated with the right foot. The lever is sturdy and well put away from sight. It is compulsory for safety reasons to always use the park-brake when lifting the kids in and out of the trailer!
- Wheel covers are another great feature that prevents accidents anything getting stuck behind the wheels.
Padded seats & shoulder straps
The trailer’s seating is compact, to say the least. Although there is room for two kids, it’s a tight squeeze – it’s most suitable for two small girls or boys, aged under 3. Thule recommends kids up to 40″ / 110 cm tall to fit in there and no less than 6 months old without the proper baby sling. Seating is comfortable as the seat itself is lifted from the floor so there are extra height and storage underneath.
- There’s a large ventilation mesh on the back of the seats.
- Padded shoulder straps
- Easy to use a 3-point safety harness
- Large & tinted water- and windproof side-windows.
WHEN SEATING ONLY ONE KID IN THE TRAILER, ALWAYS PLACE THE KID ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE TRAILER!
1. A larger compartment on the rear
2. Medium-size pocket inside the trailer and
3. Decent size storage under the seat.
Thule Chariot XT folded dimensions: 37″ x 30″ x 11″ / 94cm x 77cm x 28cm
1) Remove the wheels by pressing the center rubber button and pull the wheels out
2) Pull out the red plastic knobs located on the rear-end side frame
3) Press down the trailer
It takes less than a minute to fully convert the trailer from folded to stroller & bike trailer.
One of the most concerning safety features when getting a stroller is obviously the link between the bike and the trailer. There’s no need to be concerned with Thule’s patented ezHitch. The complete hitching set-up is well thought out with safety regulations in consideration.
Hitching is safe and easy. The stroller wheel sits nicely on top of the trailer arm ready to be used as soon to be reached on the location.
There are deep-clips for safety on the trailer side, and on the bike side of the trailer arm. The trailer arm can be adjusted on two lengths on the trailer.
The Chariot XT has a pull-out mesh door/flynet and a rain cover. The sunshade isn’t a full length as it converts from the rear storage door, but it holds
You could order a full-size rain cover as an extra.
The whole trailer is sturdy, made of high-quality components. Reflectors located 360’degrees on the trailer – on the wheels, back, and the front side of the trailer. There are deep-clips preventing the bicycle arm to come undone, on both sides. The orange flag is made of high quality, that won’t wear out over time.
Full Spec & Features
Thule Coaster XT Specs
- Type: 2-Seat Kids Bike Trailer / Stroller
- Trailer Dry Weight: 26 lbs / 12kg
- Seating Capacity: 100 lbs / 45kg
- Inside height: 27″ / 68 cm
- Inside width: 23″ / 58.5cm
- Maximum body height of passenger: 40″ / 111cm
IN THE BOX
- Bike arm
- Single stroller wheel
- Safety Flag
- Three covers
- Wheel Guards – Helps the trailer bounce away from unwanted elements
- Lightweight – Sturdy Aluminium frame
- Ripstop Fabric – Durable and weatherproof
- Basic handlebar adjustment
- Sun/Fly/Rain cover included
- Plenty of storage for such a compact bike cart
- Lots of accessories & spare parts available
One of the best-selling extras you could get for the Coaster XT is the Baby Sling that allows bringing an infant with you.
The second accessory is the footmuff that’s sort of a cold-weather sleeping bag that can be strapped down using the safety harnesses. Both of the extras cost quite a lot, but you don’t have to make any compromises on the quality!
PROs & CONs
- Stroller Wheel included that stores away neatly when cycling
- Ease Of Use – Simple and logical, hustle-free conversion and folding
- Adjustable Trailer-Arm – Different length setting for use: trailer/stroller
- Premium Brand – Good thought-out quality inside out
- Safe Bike Arm – Three solid deep-clips safety pins on trailer arm
- Looks neat
Not as Good
- Rigid axle – No suspension
- A rather tight squeeze for older / taller children
The Coaster is a solid mid-range 2 in 1 stroller and a bike trailer for growing families. If you are going to bike mainly on urban areas or paved roads – this Thule Coaster XT will exceed your expectations by its lightweight, durable, and rigid construction.
It’s compact, very easy to convert from one activity to another, and rather small in size.
If I would like to upgrade: It would only be the suspensions or a wider carrier for two kids.
Thule Chariot Cross – Most advanced kids trailer by Thule
Thule Chariot Lite – A lightweight kids’ bike trailer